The objective of the workshop is to ensure closer ties among scholars in translation and intercultural studies working within the Asia-Pacific and neighboring regions. The workshop is also open to scholars who may be able to attend from other parts of the world. As a relatively small-scale and focused event that can serve as a platform for longer term collaboration within the region, it offers and encourages academic networking and exchange.
The theme of the workshop is “Translation and Cultural Identity”, which includes the following sub-themes:
- Translation and the issues of multiculturalism and multilingualism
- Maintaining, shaping, and challenging national/local cultural identity in translation
- Government policies and their effects on translation product
- Issues of acceptability of translations between culturally-distant languages
- Translation of pop culture and its enculturation effects
- Translation in cyber-world and its challenges to cultural identity
Besides the parallel presentation sessions, there will be plenary sessions, as well as a panel discussion by keynote speakers.
Papers accepted for the parallel sessions will be allocated 30 minutes in the program, which includes 20 minutes for presentation and 10 minutes for questions/discussion.
The deadline for the submission of abstracts is June 15, 2012. Authors of the accepted papers will be notified by September 28, 2012.
The organizing committee has plans for exciting academic as well as cultural and social programs. We look forward to seeing you in the sunny and tropical Semarang!
Local Organising Committee (Semarang State University)
Rahayu Puji Haryanti
IATIS-UNNES Regional Workshop Secretariat
Gedung B3, UNNES
Kampus Sekaran, Gunungpati
Tel/Fax: +62 (24) 8508071