JOB ANNOUNCEMENT (Translation Studies)
The Instituto de Literatura y Ciencias del Lenguaje (ILCL) at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV) is seeking applicants for a tenure-track full-time faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the field of Translation Studies.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a PhD on Translation or a related discipline (e.g. Applied Linguistics with specialization in translation; Translation and Cultural Mediation; Language Sciences with specialization in translation);
- Show a record of research experience in the field of Translation Studies or its interdisciplines, through publications in peer-reviewed, indexed academic journals (ISI-WoS or Scopus) and participation in scientific conferences;
- Be able to teach English-Spanish translation;
- Exclusive dedication to academic activities is required.
In addition, the following qualifications are highly desirable:
- Experience in research projects in Translation Studies or its interdisciplines;
- Specialization in economic and legal translation, localization or translation didactics;
- Teaching experience in translation programs at undergraduate or graduate level.
Assistant Professors in the ILCL must perform in the following areas:
Teaching: The successful candidate will teach courses at undergraduate and graduate level, as well as supervise final year translation projects or dissertations, for up to 12 hours per week.
Research: The successful candidate will develop a consistent line of research within his/her field of specialization; secure research funding through internal and external research grants (PUCV and CONICYT-FONDECYT, among others), publish research results in peer-reviewed indexed journals (ISI-WoS or Scopus) and participate in national and international scientific events.
Academic service: The successful candidate will support academic service within the Department of Translation and Interpretation and ILCL.
This tenure-track position is offered in the rank of Assistant Professor with a one-year contract, which is annually renewed for a period of up to four years, according to positive performance evaluation results. Once the evaluation period is successfully completed, the academic will be eligible to be appointed as tenured faculty at PUCV.
Date of appointment and compensation:
The successful candidate will be appointed as full-time Assistant Professor, starting on January 1st, 2018. Compensation offered by PUCV is approximately CLP1,500,000 gross per month (USD 2,300), depending on the candidate’s experience and skills.
Date of publication of the announcement: July 20th , 2017
Deadline for submitting applications: September 30th, 2017
Documents required to apply:
Curriculum vitaeCertificate of PhD degree or certificate of completion of PhD;Certificates of other degrees and qualifications;Cover letter with statements of teaching and research interests;Copy of publications, certificates of participation in conferences, research projects, teaching experience, etc.;Two reference letters from academics of recognized experience in the applicant’s field of specialization.
Applications will be reviewed by a Search Committee. Selected candidates will be invited to an interview. Candidates will be notified of the results within two months after the closing date.
Applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope, indicating the position applying for to the following address:
Stephanie Díaz Galaz, Coordinator (deputy) of the Department of Translation and Interpretation
Av. El Bosque 1290, Viña del Mar, Chile
Ref. Concurso Académico Profesor Asociado de Traducción-ILCL
For doubts or queries related to the recruitment process please contact:
Stephanie Díaz Galaz
Coordinator (deputy) of the Department of Translation and Interpretation
Phone: + 56 32 227 46 44