The Faculty of Arts and Philosophy at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) invites applications for a full-time (100%) doctoral researcher at the Brussels Institute for Applied Linguistics (BIAL), Department of Linguistics and Literary Studies (LIST).
- You will conduct doctoral research in one of the following fields: Translation Studies, Interpreting Studies, Terminology, Cultural Transfer, Intercultural Communication, Language and Society. You propose a four-year research project that falls within the expertise of one or several of the potential PhD supervisors at the Brussels Institute of Applied Linguistics. Supervisor profiles can be consulted here: https://bial.research.vub.be/people.
- In the first year of your appointment, you will apply for a pre-doctoral fellowship at the Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO) based on your research proposal and under the supervision of your supervisor(s). For more information, see: https://www.fwo.be/en/fellowships-funding/phd-fellowships/
- 90% of your time will be dedicated to conducting research. The remaining 10% will be allocated to teaching, research support or academic service for the Brussels Institute for Applied Linguistics (BIAL) and/or the BA-programme in Applied Linguistics and MA programmes in Translation or Interpreting at the Department of Linguistics and Literary Studies (LIST).
- You have a Master’s degree in Humanities or Social Sciences (or equivalent), preferably with a specialisation in Translation or Interpreting Studies, Linguistics, or Literary Studies.
- You can present excellent study results.
- You can work independently and take on responsibility but you also function well as part of a team.
- You are internationally oriented and willing to attend conferences and/or undertake research stays abroad.
- You are quality-oriented, creative, and show a sense of initiative.
- You have an excellent knowledge of academic English (spoken and written).
- Final-year master students and international students are also encouraged to apply.
- We offer a PhD scholarship for a period of 4 years subject to an annual positive evaluation. The starting date of the scholarship is 1 October 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- Depending on your professional seniority, you will receive a salary in one of the pay scales set by the Belgian government. The monthly salary (before tax) varies from 2404.82€ to 2890.78€ (EU staff) / 2193.61€ to 2636.89€ (non-EU staff). You will also be allocated office space and a work laptop. Additionally, you will be entitled to hospitalisation insurance and free access to public transport for your commute to campus. Some funding to attend conferences will be available to you.
- The successful candidate will take part in the faculty’s doctoral training programme.
- The VUB campus offers extensive sports facilities and a nursery within walking distance.
- For more information on working at VUB, see: https://jobs.vub.be/.
- Your application must include the following:
- a detailed CV
- a cover letter explaining your motivation to pursue a PhD
- a research proposal of up to 5000 words containing the following:
- preliminary title
- state of the art
- research questions and objectives
- work plan
- reference list
- an academic writing sample in English, Dutch, French or German (e.g. scientific publication, research paper, bachelor thesis, master thesis).
- The interviews for the position will be held before 30 June 2020.
- Profiles and research topics of potential supervisors can be found on the BIAL website: https://bial.research.vub.be/people.