Conference theme: Teaching Translation vs. Training Translators
Since 2011, when it was held for the first time, the Translation and Interpreting Forum Olomouc has established itself as an open platform which is not limited only to an academic exchange within translation and interpreting studies research but embraces discussion with all players in the field of cross-language communication.
The 2019 conference theme "Teaching Translation vs. Training Translators" revisits the topic of education and training of translators/interpreters. The featured guest speakers for TIFO 2019 are Luc van Doorslaer (University of Tartu / KU Leuven) and Chris Durban (freelance financial translator, Paris). We welcome proposals addressing, without limitation, the following topics::
● teaching translation and interpreting: theory and practice
● balancing translator competences – language, thematic, etc.
● fitness for market as the ultimate goal?
• translating into L2: a market need or a forbidden path?
• changing role of the interpreter: implications for the classroom • technologies in the classroom and in the field
● translation in language teaching – the fifth skill
● CPD – university degree awarded, professional development
• translation as a labour of love or source of income?
We welcome BOTH papers presenting results of academic research AND contributions by professionals in the field. The invitation to participate is extended to all parties concerned: academics (teachers and students), professional translators and interpreters, trade organisations and professional institutions, publishing houses, agencies providing language services, "in-house" language departments of transnational corporations, companies developing support tools and technology, etc.
Deadline for submissions: September 30 2019
For more information, click here