SECOND BIENNIAL CONFERENCE OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR TRANSLATION STUDIES IN AFRICA
6-7 JUNE 2020, UNIVERSITY OF GHANA, LEGON, ACCRA, GHANA
Community translation and interpreting have been a field of interest in translation studies for quite a while now. In the process, it has amassed a significant body of literature and a research agenda.
The organizers of the second biennial conference of the Association of Translation Studies in Africa would like to put community translation/interpreting on the agenda of translation studies scholars working in the African context. There is a strong suspicion that community translation in Europe, for instance, does not mean the same as in Africa. There are also indications that non-professional translation/interpreting and community interpreting in Africa could be quite closely related. Debates on community translation/interpreting also raises issues of education and training. The organizers thus call for papers that engage with issues regarding community translation/interpreting in the African context. Relevant topics may include the following, but are not limited to these:
· What does community translation/interpreting entail in Africa?
· What would be key differences between community translation/interpreting practices in Africa and in other contexts?
· What is the role of intersemiotic translation in community translation/interpreting in Africa?
· How does the development status of African countries influence community translation/ interpreting?
· How does the language landscape in Africa influence community translation/interpreting?
· What is the relationship between community translation/interpreting and non-professional translation/interpreting in Africa?
· What are the implications of the debate on community translation/interpreting for translator/ interpreter training and education in Africa?
The organizers are awaiting abstracts for this conference. Papers could be conceptual, empirical or a blend of the two.
The following time line applies:
· 15 August 2019: Submissions for abstracts opens.
· 1 November 2019: Submissions closes and review process starts
· 1 December 2019: Participants are notified about the outcome of the review process.
· 1 January 2020: Early-bird registration for conference opens
· 1 April 2020: Early-bird registration for conference closes
· 1 May 2020: Registration for conference closes
· 6-7 June 2020: Second ATSA Conference